View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Congrats on 8 months Timmy, that's great! There will always be those we disagree with, whether it's at an AA meeting, the office or at home. Try and focus on the people and things that do help and are working for now.
This. Identify the people who "have what you want" and basically, be polite but largely ignore the rest. People have a LOT of different motives for being in AA and not all of them are good ones.

Also, re sponsor. I do think it is crucial to have one (a good one!) but I too did not have one for what many would consider a long time. I got my FIRST one at 97 days. She worked me VERY hard through the BB from the index forward. For various reasons to long to go into here (succinctly), I got a 2d sponsor, double dated til I was certain moving on was right, and now have a wonderful and VERY different sponsor (I just hit 6mo). I rely on her a lot but it is a more intuitive relationship than the first and it is right for me now. I would encourage you to find a sponsor when you are "ready" - or almost ready. I believe strongly that sometimes we NEED something (or someone) before we think we need them (it). That's why, for example, I keep taking campral - I don't THINK I need the anti-craving med....but I have no cravings so why not keep taking it if that's a big part of the why to that one?

Stick with AA- you're doing really, really well, as you said, for a bunch of reasons, I bet. That's likely one of them - you ARE getting good stuff from enough people who bolster you even when you don't realize it.

Congrats on all your time!!