View Single Post
Old 08-20-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Yours Truly

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
YT, we have many many people here on this forum, and the other friends and family forums who are what we call "double winners", recovering from both substance addiction and also codependency.

They treat each separately and work two separate programs and do very well with things just as they are here.

We also have many forums for secular recovery, both for the addicts and for the codependents.

I think if you read around you will find a place, or places, that work both sides for your recovery.

Personally, I find that most of us come to recovery from different paths but once we begin working and living recovery and healing, we are walking together on this journey, toward the same end...serenity and peaceful, healthy living.
Well, you've been here for a long, long time, Ann, and Cece has too. I s'pose I've been a bit angry over the past couple of days.

I'm all thumbs when it comes to boundaries and codependency. For me, "enabling" is a much plainer term. For an addict, it might be simpler to view an enabler as someone who is fueling their addiction as opposed to a codependent.

For example, it's easier for me to think that if I respond to my Dad's email that I'll be enabling (or accepting) his behavior by his not apologizing to me, and he will be enabling my behavior just by accepting my response. I don't see how codependency plays into that.

Well, I'll just respond neutrally and noncommittally and take it from there. I just don't like it - mostly because I don't know the right way to handle it. I'll hold off for a while. If you can offer any suggestions I would be really appreciative. Thanks a bunch.