View Single Post
Old 08-17-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
lizatola

Originally Posted by SoloMio View Post
What is a stronger trigger for you: the continued debt until you pay off your car, or the thought of being "dependent" on someone else. (In quotes because that's how YOU may see it, but it may not be reality).

As bluelily said, having a car may be an important simple of independence. OTOH, debt may be an important symbol of slavery. It depends on the symbol that scares you the most.

What will make you feel more comfortable: to be out of debt, or to have your own wheels?
Excellent question. When I was married, we had no debt except our mortgage. I hate debt, I hate knowing I accrue interest instead of earning interest on my investments. I do believe in wealth management and retirement planning and DEBT does not fit my financial goals.

Yet, on the other hand, I also think my car is my freedom to some degree. I bought it myself right before I left my XAH. It was the first real financial decision I made outside of my marriage, even before I found my rental home, etc. Maybe it's just the symbolism of it all?
I'll have to journal about it and meditate on it. Thank you for the perspective!