Old 08-16-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Originally Posted by George89 View Post
I realized with my company that it's actually pretty easy to avoid nights out. You just say you are busy playing sport in the evening and that's that. The bigger events are the harder ones.

I recently met a woman who doesn't drink, and perhaps that awakened my soul again to the possibility of being sober. I'm certain all the things I've struggled with, like not having fulfilling weekends, not having more importantly a fulfilling life and career, bad money management , not being able to stick to hobbies, tiredness, low moods, poor work performance, not being able to keep my flat clean and finding it hard to stay on top of things..all of this would be improved by being sober.

I've had sober stretches before and I noticed the difference. The idea of life revolving around getting drunk and high each weekend is quite scary, and it feels like I have been heading that way recently. Even if it doesn't kill me, it reduces the quality of my life day to day, week to week.

I want to plan my weekends so I have fun things to do like sport, maybe other hobbies, perhaps an afternoon course. I always find Saturday evening is difficult. There is that black hole there when I'm alone in my flat, and I think that's another thing. That if im really going to do this, I need to learn to enjoy spending time by myself.
I found it kind of hard getting started on the hobbies etc because since leaving school I'd just done the same old getting off my face at weekends thing and sulking all week because it wasn't the weekend and I couldn't get off my face lol. Anyway. I looked at notice boards etc to see what possible things I could do. I also looked back to before I started drinking etc (to childhood) and tried to remember what I enjoyed back then. I've done creative writing groups, reading groups, dance classes, choirs, bell ringing (not good), sewing, volunteering, climbing, running club, all sorts. If you try it and don't like it, no one's going to force you to stick with it.