Old 08-15-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Time2Rise

Originally Posted by sunshine72 View Post
Time2Rise what other books do you recommend on secular recovery besides RR? I love audio books on my Tablet. Thanks.
Right now, I highly recommend Stop Drinking Now by Allen Carr. It has helped me realize that I'm not really depraving myself of anything by quitting alcohol. And the book does a decent job of exposing the cultural and social myths that perpetuate alcohol use and if not realized can make quitting difficult.

Jason Vale's Quit the Drink Easily is essentially the same book, but it is poorly written and a much more cumbersome read IMO. So I believe Carr's book is a better choice.

And while not directly recovery related, I've also been studying and reading about secular Buddhist practices, and that has helped me form a firmer psychological outlook and moral blueprint for living my life alcohol free. In addition, Buddhist philosophy also does a good job of exposing how our cravings and desires for various things, including alcohol, are mostly based on illusions and misconceptions.