Old 08-15-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

I get depressed that life is passing me by. I want to have fun hobbies, and live an adventurous life. I know the real adventure exists outside of drink and drugs. Travelling the world, living your dreams and passions, becoming financial stable, playing a lot of sport, getting great at an instrument, learning a language.
I got sober and got depressed about all the same stuff. You can find yourself in a pattern of always striving but never really arriving where you are or where you wanted to be at one point. IE you finally acheive some dream or goal and then its not good enough either either so your still miserable.

Learning to be content with what you have and how things are can go a long long way in being happy sober.

Now as far as drug using friends and so on. I hate to say it but I just relate to the drinking drugging crowd much better then those that dont do or have problems with such things. even before I ever had any issues really recall making good friends with some guys at a rehab facility etc... I dunno I just related to them better.

Now fast foward to my recovery days who do i get along with and realte to best? those also trying to stay sober. we get each other understand each other etc..

nothing wrong with having friends from the drugging drinking crowd but it does help a lot ot have ones that are working on staying sober vs ones that are still actively using.