Old 08-15-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
George89

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
I think you know what the solution is, then: Stop drinking and taking drugs. You may need to spend less time with your drug-using friends, maybe stop spending time with them at all at least for a while. You may need to check out local support groups if you find you can't do it alone. You may need a medical treatment group (rehab). Whatever it takes.

I was addicted to cocaine for a while in my early 20's, and it was horrible. Life became a depressing pass-time until I could get high again, spend the rest of the evening chasing that initial rush, drink myself to sleep, crash all day, and then do it again the next day. Something switched, for me, and one day I understood I was on the road to jail, institutions and death (as they say) and stopped forever cold-turkey with no support. That initial rush is like nothing else, but once you get to liking it too much, it's all downhill very quickly.
Of course in theory I know what the problem is, and what the solution is. It's just, I guess that's what makes addiction so terrible. That even with logic that we should stop something, we find it hard.

It's certainly insidious. Being high on it, I feel somehow glamorous yet the day after it feels hellish, spending all my money on drugs, chatting rubbish people. the high is so far removed from the reality of your life that the come down is simply a depressing reality check.

To be honest, what holds me back to some degree at least is that I'm scared of coming out as sober. I work for a corporate company in the UK in the financial services arena. Being a non drinking man, it's like really saying I'm different to you all. It's seen as weird and unacceptable. That's always been a big battle for me. The idea of owning sobriety.