Old 08-13-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
August252015

I, too, would never post that kind of stuff on FB etc.

I tell people in different ways and times. I also don't mention it at all, to others. My bosses at work know- I told them my story when I asked for my job back- and that is all that matters, work-wise. To others at work (I work in a restaurant), some of whom knew I was a big drinking but might not have really known I was a severe alcoholic, I just say a simple "oh, I stopped" or "I don't do that anymore" and move on. If someone ends up wanting to have a conversation- I will take each of those scenarios as they come up, mainly because it could perhaps be a chance to be of service to someone else.

My friends who didn't know there was a problem have been 100% supportive. I don't keep ANYONE in my life who isn't. My AA group(s), sponsor, boyfriend and parents, are for the in depth discussions of my alcoholism and recovery. It is only anyone else's business when I choose to share with them.

Bottom line, I don't advertise, I include. AA also talks about anonymity at the level of press, radio and film and why this would include online communication. Using the AA name, for example, by posting memes of a 60 day chip would violate this. you are tying yourself publicly as an example of AA that could convey non-AA messages to others in various ways.