Thread: Starting Over
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

I have been thinking about this thread for the last few days, trying to see some light that I can shed for you, JustFine. Congratulations on choosing sobriety - it is something of you that is yours, and it cannot be taken away, it cannot be diminished by others. It is a personal triumph and a treasure that can be yours forever.

As for making that decision to drink, I struggle to find something helpful. I haven't relapsed since making my BP, and that was five years ago. This isn't to say that I don't get those ideas. I stick to my game plan of never drinking again. It is recognizing the source of these self-destructive thoughts. It is identifying them as being outside of 'me', as 'ego-alien' as TU would have said. It is accepting their presence without emotion or judgement. And finally, my BP is to continue to move forward in my life.

I am getting too old to have many more regrets. That time is finished and firmly in the past.

So, Jess, maybe this helps you. I certainly hope so. I know you can do this. You deserve all the goodness that lies ahead. Onward!