Thread: This is easy
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 08:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Whodathunk

No offense fini, only extreme respect for everyone who is sober, be it just a few minutes, days, weeks, months or years, whether it is easy or hard or a constant battle. Mine has been a constant battle, so I am on that end, sober just over a year after 2.5 years and a relapse. I thought it was easy (even after a rough start to get to my 2.5 years) and my particular thinking got me in the mindset that it could not be that easy and I could not feel that great unless I was no longer an alcoholic. Hell, maybe I never even WAS one. I tried to be a social drinker but that ended with the first sip. I knew when it touched my lips. So I am that person who can't even have one.

So I was truly looking for, and will always look for, ways that others do it so that I can keep learning and absorbing.

I am an AA'er, and while I don't have the desire to drink, I have my moments that make it less then normal and quite difficult to otherwise be like those who don't have to worry about what one sip will do to them. I think most would tell you that for them the problem is not removed, but for some it is, but it is a promise. It would truly suck if we instead read on the wall something like "good luck, statistically you will relapse, but thanks for coming", but we all strive to have that problem removed, who wouldn't?