View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 08:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ugnius

2 years sober minus a useful slip

Today marks 2 years since I've been sober.

During this time my life has changed in ways I did not think was possible. I've been taking great care of my health and fitness, carrier has took off, relationships with family and friends are better than ever! Most importantly, a few months ago I gave birth to a beautiful baby, so this is by far my biggest accomplishment that seemed so impossible and out of reach before.

Yet, I mentioned a slip. Yes, there was one and I have found it to be useful. When the baby was couple of weeks old, a bright idea crossed my mind - a drink would cure my anxiety, depression and boredom, so that's what I took (the baby was taken care of and I did not breastfeed).

And the most unexpected thing happened - the moment I took the first sip, it was like a dark veil covered my eyes, mind and body. I felt more anxious, depressed and full of regret. As opposed to the "good" old days, the drink did not cure a thing, just made my problems 100 times worse. The world immediately became the dark, awful place it used to be.

This is why I did not reset my sobriety date following this one incident and take pride in my two years, as I have come a long way since that dark August of 2014 and the slip taught me not to romanticize the drink, because it's just not worth it. Hence I am thankful to be sober, healthy, happy and alive!
Wishing the same to all of you