View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 09:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

I actually would rather not move. I like the house (apart from the issues), like my neighbors, etc. I'm guessing that after the repairs the house would be worth in the neighborhood of 120-150--assuming that the repairs are done competently (and I'm going to insist on a transferable warranty). I have an engineer coming out soon to give me a proposal for a remediation plan--once I have that, I'll have a better idea of the cost. I have a couple of estimates already that range between 60 and 80k for the work.

I live in a "recourse" state, which means that walking away would not be a great option--the bank could come after me for the balance, and I would rather not damage my credit unless I would walk away free and clear. I do have investments (403b and IRA), but I'd rather use those as collateral than borrow from them.

I actually will have in savings (after I receive the settlement check) around $30k. That's just savings in an online account. So I really would have to borrow around $40k (I can sock some more money away in the coming months). And actually, I can probably pay it off reasonably quickly, so I may be hurting my head for nothing. I believe I can get a signature loan for a pretty decent rate, but I'm hoping for the best deal I can get. My need for an "emergency fund" is limited, since I receive a pension--I'd have that even if I were to lose my job. I like having one, but it doesn't have a high balance.