View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
alwayscovering

It just kills me, I love my dad and I miss him terribly every day. I never thought he was an alcoholic. I don't like that this has me questioning things with my dad. I'm trying to work it out in my head. My therapist says she thinks maybe my dad was numbing his pain and it had nothing to do with us. He worked- hard, it never affected his job, it clearly didn't affect my mom negatively because she was really pissed when I mentioned it to her. She said "yes, your dad drank, but he was a kind loving person and he never hurt anyone" That is totally true, he never hurt us, he wasn't emotionally abusive, he would give a stranger the shirt off his back if they needed it but it still bothers me that he lived with pain he chose to squash with alcohol.

My husband's alcoholism is clearly affecting me negatively-it doesn't affect the kids-yet. He's never mean to them. I seem to be his target. He doesn't blow up in front of them.

We're moving to another state in January. His hometown. This decision was made long before I realized he was an alcoholic. (yes I knew he had a problem in the military but some of the stuff they went through I kinda figured it went with the territory and he had been sober for 10 years when he relapsed even though he didn't finish the 12 steps) My mother in law wants to put him in rehab as soon as we get there...and I'm rambling LOL sorry