View Single Post
Old 08-06-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
August252015

Whew, CC. I totally get where you are coming from in the "antsy" feeling of a new relationship. I have certainly been there.

I will just add my $0.02. I can't do antsy. I know I can't do any version of the "drama" that is the wondering. It's just not healthy and it would jeopardize my EMOTIONAL sobriety- which sounds like something you have and want to protect. I would just say to be very cautious about letting him further into your mind and heart.

I am almost six months sober and a month ago, I started seeing my high school boyfriend. Completely unexpected and completely amazing. We are both in recovery and our relationship is based on friendship and communication- about everything in our lives and in our relationship. This is...Big Time, and big stakes for both of us. And it is wonderful - we are taking the building part seriously (And getting closer at a VERY quick pace) and the physical part VERY slowly. My bottom line on sharing this is that I could not- absolutely could not- be with a person I did not completely trust. We are getting to know each other again, and as adults, and I know my situation is rare both in and of itself, and because I am choosing this early in recovery. Other than the obvious reason to go this route, that I am falling in love with him, that foundation is why I am willing to take whatever "risk" this poses.

Just- be careful, keep talking to your sponsor and friends (honestly!! about what you are doing with this guy, how you feel, questioning your decisions and listening to them!!) and...really get to know him. You have to spend time with him to do this- I think saying you're exclusive is fine- and you have to keep your eyes open for his actions, and whether you can trust him. The little signs and things- does he call when he says he will? does he make plans when he has time? you get the point...Work at listening to your sober voice- you have worked hard to get better- and, frankly, don't keep going if your spidey senses make you uncomfortable.

This could be a great thing if it's done right. Good luck!!