Old 07-29-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

As others have shared, I drank when happy or sad, angry or elated, tired or energized, in a relationship or all alone. I also had a habit of stepping up my drinking when in a relationship. Funny how that often ended up being the thing that did the most damage.

Ignoring warnings from other friends in recovery that I should wait a year before getting romantically involved with anyone, I got involved with a woman at about 9 months sober. All the old patterns, except drinking, kicked into high gear. I was clinging to her like she was my life source, while trying to make myself hers. She is also alcoholic, but not in recovery, and at first she clung to me the same way. She met her match, though. I burned her out.

The relationship ended and it was probably the best thing that could have happened to either one of us. I learned that, even at nearly 51, I am not yet emotionally ready for that. That's OK. It's better to wait until you feel more secure in your sobriety, regardless of other conditions, before you share your life with someone else. It's not likely to work otherwise.