Old 07-28-2016, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

It would be nice if alcoholism could be cured by eliminating a single trigger, but unfortunately that is not the nature of it.

Many times I thought some particular external circumstance was the cause. Running with a bad crowd was a good one, a girlfriend, and unsatisfactory job.

So I got a new girlfriend, moved to a new town, got a new job in the field I thought I was really interested in, and still got drunk.

I am an alcoholic and the truth of it was I could not "not drink". Alcohol was how I got to feel half ok with life, it was my solution to dating, in fact all social life, until it destroyed it all.

Today I can date, I can participate in every aspect of life without alcohol, It has no power over me and does not influence any decisions I might make, like where I can go and what I can do.

Your dating problem might be a symptom of your alcoholism. Your proposal, if it worked, would treat the symptom but you would not be free of alcohol because you will have treated the symptom, not the cause. King alcohol will be saying "no dating for you!" That is not freedom from alcohol.