Thread: 6 months sober
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 08:16 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
GratefulJunkie

Originally Posted by 2012Starlight View Post
I can try to make these changes; the problem still is, I don't truly believe they will help. I feel as if I'd be kidding myself, just as I do when I pretend to let my surroundings (and myself) know I'll never drink again. Because I don't honestly believe in that. Not that I didn't wish I would. So yes, I can pretend to have 'fun' in life without the booze - but it would just be pretending.
"Even in the present century, American newspapers were afraid to print an account of the Wright Brothers first successful flight at Kitty Hawk. Had not all efforts at flight failed before? Did not professor Langleys flying machine go to the bottom of the Potomac River? Was it not true that the best mathematical minds had proved man could never fly? Had not people said God had reserved this privilege to the birds? Only 30 years later the conquest of the air was almost an old story and airplane travel was in full swing."

Big Book p.51 ( We Agnostics )

That paragraph in the book is referencing agnostic thinking towards spiritual programs...however, I think it applies to what you're feeling? 'Contempt Prior To Investigation' or just believing this program can't help, without ever really trying. Nobody thought man could fly, and now that way of thinking seems silly! So MAYBE, just MAYBE, if you give it an honest go, break free from your comfort zone, try something new, ask another man for help, share your struggles in person with other alcoholics, MAYBE this thing really CAN work. And if it doesn't, then have another drink. But if it DOES, hold on for the greatest ride of your life! There are so many people - just like you - sitting in a clubhouse, or church basement, or other room of Alcoholics Anonymous, just WAITING for YOU! And others just like us! The TRUE PURPOSE of the AA meetings, is so the still struggling alcoholic can find his people! And even 6 months sober - even 10 years sober - we alcoholics can still be struggling/suffering! It's not a thing to be embarrassed about, it's a thing to rejoice in and motivate ourselves to get where we need to be! Good luck!