Thread: 6 months sober
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 06:50 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Loekken

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I was pretty good at stopping drinking, but I finally realised to stay stopped I needed some changes.

Changes in my ideas of fun, changes in my playmates, changes in the way I tried to solve problems and changes in the way I felt about myself....

Sounds like you're pretty much constrained right now from drinking, but what's it going to be like when those constraints aren't there?

Think about the kind of life you want and who you want to be., I'm willing to bet drinking like we do runs counter to both things.

Why not start building a sober life you love...right now?

D
I can try to make these changes; the problem still is, I don't truly believe they will help. I feel as if I'd be kidding myself, just as I do when I pretend to let my surroundings (and myself) know I'll never drink again. Because I don't honestly believe in that. Not that I didn't wish I would.

So yes, I can pretend to have 'fun' in life without the booze - but it would just be pretending. And you're right by the way, I am very much constrained from drinking - that's exactly what I am. I am waiting to find my own apartment, so that I will be the only one who decides if I pick up a drink or not. Being alone - all alone, finally - likely means I get drunk again. Might be in a month, might be in another 6 months. Just a matter of time.