Thread: 6 months sober
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 11:40 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Lautca
Sober since October 24, 1997

Hi, 2012Starlight. First of all, your 6 months of sobriety is darned impressive to me. What you are working on is kind of like climbing up a ladder out of a hole, where climbing up the ladder is not easy. You have already done that, so the first part of your work has been accomplished - just remember that it is easy to fall back down the hole (ask me how I know). So please consider using your antabuse as prescribed because it can help prevent you from falling back in. Usually, the more time you have sober, the more it helps you stay that way. Being out of the hole will now allow you to move on to fixing what got you down there to begin with. Everybody has things that need fixing, so you are not alone.

I know moving on to where you need to be can be very frustrating and frightening. In the book "Alcoholics Anonymous", it explains how simply talking to someone else who is going through what you are is enormously helpful with alleviating the at-first painful processes that lead to sobriety. This is the key thing that Dr. Bob and Bill W discovered that makes AA and other programs work. If you haven't read the book "Alcoholics Anonymous", get a copy – I recently got one for a friend for about the cost of three candy bars. What I am getting at has nothing to do with one's religiosity or accepting religion, it works because you get face-to-face unconditional tolerance and understanding regarding alcoholism from another human-being, the kind of unconditional acceptance that a lot of people have never experienced even once in their lives! From my own experience, that kind of unconditional acceptance is very comforting for any kind of unpleasant circumstance. But remember that you simply can't go find just anyone going through what you are in order to commiserate with, finding others who are "safe" is best done in a controlled setting like in AA or other sobriety groups. I don't specifically advocate AA, I didn't go through them myself, but I know others who have, and AA's success is rather impressive. There are a lot more resources available now than there were when I was still a young "professional drunk" 35 years ago, and other resources are listed at this site.

I know you mentioned that you have issues with being around others, but this is in part where doing what is called "taking baby steps" is of paramount importance. In AA and other similar meetings geared toward ultimately being sober, anyone who is not disruptive to meetings is welcome. Silent participants are just as welcome as anyone else because the first goal of being there is to experience and learn from others – meetings are not necessarily "show-and-tell" sessions (but all success stories are EXTREMELY welcome). In some places there are even several different kinds of meetings available to suit the personalities and specific problems of those who are headed toward sobriety (like specific time of day including after midnight for shift workers, men-only, women-only, mixed gender, the various LGBT groups, the young, the elderly, specific cultures, - you get the idea). So having problems being around others, including those who you don't relate to, may be helped a lot by not being required to actively participate, along with choosing what group is best for you to attend, or even attend several groups per day. If it still bothers you, just remember to take baby steps in the right direction by going whenever you are up to it. But there is one thing you must have, which is a sincere desire to get sober. No one can help you, except you, and you have to want that. One of the many purposes of AA, and others like it, is to support you when your subconscious brain overrules your conscious brain's desire to become sober. There are parts of your brain that will sabotage your efforts, like the amygdalae, but the feelings they generate will usually subside pretty fast when you can talk to someone you can trust who has already been there.

I'm nobody special, so if I got sober, so can you. Like you, I have been sober just one day at a time. That is my secret, just one single day at a time staying sober.

Good Luck!

Lautca