Thread: 6 months sober
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by 2012Starlight View Post
It sounds stupid but it seems I still didn't get burned or scared enough to get used to the idea of never touching a drink again in my life, even though I in fact nearly died just 18 months ago from alcoholic asphyxiation.
When I first got involved in AA, I used to joke with my sponsor that I'd never give a talk because my story was just not interesting enough. It was plain boring, I said. A few months later, it got a whole lot more interesting, although that was definitely not my intention. When I do give a talk now, I avoid getting into quantities of alcohol consumed or frequency of drinking too much because I know a lot of people, like myself, might be tempted to say, "Well, see, I was never that bad, so I can't be an alcoholic."

It's always better to quit while we're ahead, and as long as we're still alive, we're still ahead. We can't treat this like a competition. The only way to win it is to die. There's always a lower rung on the way to the bottom. The lowest is death. I know all that probably sounds very dramatic and fatalistic, but it's true. I wish I knew the right words to convince you that you need to continue in your sobriety. I wish someone had said them to me before I nearly killed myself and lost almost everything. The steps to do what I believe you know you should do are totally up to you to take.