Old 07-20-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
2ndhandrose
under new management

Originally Posted by behindblueyes View Post
I don't want to pass him in the halls next time I am there. We did not talk about the things I really wanted to talk about such as cravings, triggers, so on. He admitted he was a serious alcoholic "when younger".

He threw me a paper quiz and said "I hear you have PTSD so fill this out". I added it up and it said I am in a severe depression. He didn't even look at it and shoved it in a folder.

I told him I have a problem with drinking. He said "Oh you're a boozer!!" Then he went on to admit that he actively drinks. He said to me that he can have one beer and stop. Then he back-tracked and said "To be honest, they're usually tall ones ." I can understand the issue with burnout but to admit you're actively drinking and complain to a client 10 minutes into meeting them?

I felt like I was counseling him the entire time. He seemed disgusted that I was in his office. I just feel like crap. I waited a month to see this guy and my insurance won't let me transfer to another outpatient facility without a fight.
I was in government funded, low cost counselling a few years ago. I saw a counsellor 3 times (I had to wait 2 months for the appt) and I felt like we did not connect and it was completely unproductive for me. The idea of asking to switch to someone different made me so uncomfortable but there was nothing good coming from my appointments.

I requested, and was given, a change in counsellors. The next counsellor was fantastic and I was so thankful I did the hard thing, asking for someone new.

I hope you speak to a supervisor and get assigned to someone, anyone, other than this unqualified, unprofessional, unhelpful person.

Wishing you the best