Thread: nearly gambled
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Whodathunk

Good job on not gambling. That probably would not have ended well.

Have you every tried AA? You don't have to talk to anyone. No one cares who you are. You can sit in the back and come and go as you please, you can get there when you want and leave when you want. (I bet you can tell what kind of an AA goer I am). I was even worried going to the one in my neighborhood would be risky in seeing someone I knew. Guess what, I did, and they nor I ever said a thing about it.

That being said, you can share for 5 minutes if you want, you can get there early and stay late, since there are ALWAYS people who want to talk, there is an endless supply of social interactions if that's your cup of tea. There are weekend events, dinners people go to, conferences, of when I have done none of those.

And you DON'T HAVE TO GET A SPONSOR although it is recommended. I tried twice, and just don't do well being told to do things.

Just a thought.

Oh, and I was in forced treatment after slitting my wrists and neck. 3 days in the shrink ward, no problem getting out of there knowing what to say and how to act. Probably needed to stay, but in hindsight what I needed was to finally realize I would die from drinking in one way or another. And this happened one morning, and I had a choice at 11:00 am, drunk, to either drink more and die, or go to a noon meeting in my neighborhood for the first time drunk, and give quitting a try. That was my bottom. Trying to kill myself was not a bottom, driving drunk and getting a dui was not a bottom, my wife threatening to leave was not a bottom.

I am not a religious person and I did not realize I was a spiritual person, but I am convinced now that I do have a HP that nudged me that day into that meeting.

So the meetings are free, I am living proof it works (yep another one saying 'if I can do it anyone can'), and they are literally everywhere. Just google AA meetings and punch in your city or zip code.

Good luck to you. One day the money you spent or 'wasted' on treatment will no longer be anything you worry about, dead or alive.