Thread: Compassion
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

It sounds to me like you are doing just about everything you can.

Regarding your pizza analogy, unfortunately there is no way to explain WHY we drink or what MAKES us drink, it's simply addiction - and there is no logical answer. There is a solution of course - sobriety, and we can choose it - but in order for it to work we must accept our addiction for what it is and find ways to live with it, we cannot "cure" it. Believe me - if someone could have given me a magic pill or surgery that would have taken away my desire to drink I would have paid any amount of money to get it.

Regarding this statement, especially the Bold part:

Originally Posted by Wells View Post
I can't help her, change her, want her to change, or rescue her from this. I just wish I knew a way to lovingly detach and for her to know that I want her to choose recovery, and not start this cycle over again. I know it is a better future for her, but I have no idea how to tell her.
My best advice would simply be to tell her straight up how you feel. You can write it in a letter, or you could even print out this post.

Be advised though that there is no guarantee that she will see it as you want her to see it. You could very likely get rejected even more for saying it...because we ( alcoholics ) are experts at denial when in the throes of our addiction. So even your good intentions may bring you more sorrow unfortunately.