View Single Post
Old 07-09-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Expanding

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
What worked best for me was understanding the biochemical and socioeconomic aspects of alcohol addiction. Alcohol isn't a wonderful sophisticated thing that enhances lives...it's a toxic depressant chemical that is implicated in 60+ diseases and conditions, many of which are fatal. That toxic chemical is being pushed down our throats almost literally because it's incredibly profitable...beer and wine are largely water. So we see it everywhere...television, movies, grocery stores...in short we are brainwashed into thinking we're missing something when we don't drink and all we're missing is compromising our physical and mental health...not to mention our finances.

Seeing it for what it really is helps me feel liberated, not deprived and that's key to staying stopped. Not many of us can rely on pure will power for the long haul, but mentally reassigning booze from the reward to the punishment category is a big help.
Yes, yes and yes! I am free from the shackles of alcohol whether I was drinking myself or my partner was... the problem is now what?

I think this is where most people falter... they don't know what to do with themselves so they go back to what they always did with who they always did it with.