Old 07-04-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Centered3

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I worked the steps at 2 weeks of sobriety with amazing results (obsession lifted). I worked the 12 steps again at 4 months, 8 months (learned the sponsor's role this time through) and at 18 months of sobriety. When I get squirrely or feel off-center, I work through those 12 steps with my sponsor.
I'm always in awe of people like you and others where the obsession is lifted so quickly.

I want the kind of sponsor who can help me work through the steps when I get squirrely. I'm assuming you mean it's over one phone call, and not a thorough re-working of them, yes?

My home group members work the steps more than once. Some of these people have 30 years of sobriety and continue to work the steps (all 12) with their sponsor. They claim that they are not the same person today that they were a month ago, so there will always be something to learn when working through the steps honestly.
I've heard this, too, and many of my favorite podcast AA speakers do this. I'm not sure I understand why, if you're in 10/11, but I like the idea of bringing ALL the steps back into it.

Why not work the steps again? They don't need to take a long time to work through. Just take a look at you through the step-work and see what happens (again!).
I'd like to do that, but so far I haven't been able to find a group with people who do it this way.