View Single Post
Old 07-01-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mirabella

Friends Who Drink

Hello! I'm newly sober and so far have been really enjoying the renewed energy and alertness living alcohol free has given me. (I'm about two weeks in.) I've had a good go of it so far, and have dealt with triggers with a combination of finding alternate coping mechanisms or just urge surfing. I'm beginning to see how unwilling I was to maybe just feel a little sad or anxious sometimes without medicating it away. It really doesn't kill you does it!?

Anyway, one of the obstacles I'm facing lately is how much alcohol was embedded in the social life of both myself and my husband. Happy hours galore at work, friends having BBQs that are really all about the booze, even play dates where Mom's bring sippy cups full of wine! I seriously think some of our friends may have drinking problems now that I'm not partaking. I also see how it could take me so long to recognize my problem since binge drinking is so accepted in our social circle.

So far many friends have been supportive of our decision to not drink, but others not so much. Also, I feel bored when I'm the only one not drinking at social events where booze seems to be the focus. I'm trying to arrange events now where we do something active, like go carting or zip lining or hiking. Then, that becomes the focus, and if we BBQ afterward and they want to drink that's easier for me, since the focus on the day was the event and the food and not alcohol.

However, I still feel like I'm left out of many activities. The other day a girlfriend came over for dinner and brought wine. She totally forgot! She ended up drinking the bottle herself, but I felt a little odd about it and left out to be honest. I wonder if we can't connect like we used to without my drinking.

Anybody else feel this way or struggle with being a non-drinker in a drinking world?