View Single Post
Old 06-28-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

DV and guns--another tragedy

I'm always harping on here about the danger of DV and guns.

I just emailed my kids about a case that I worked on recently that was just decided by the Supreme Court this week that will make it harder for convicted DV offenders to get guns.

My son emailed me back to tell me he was so happy to hear that, because at that moment he was waiting for word on his friend's aunt, who had just been shot by her ex-husband. I replied expressing my sympathy, and reminding him about resources that could help her in the weeks/months to come. He thanked me, and then emailed me a few minutes later to tell me she wasn't going to make it.

This happened in downtown Denver, apparently at the victim's workplace. The shooter is dead (shot himself, apparently). Nearby offices were evacuated, as no one knew what was happening--workplace shootings are terrifying events.

So another DV victim is dead. I don't know what the history was, but in all probability there was a pattern of violence that preceded this event.

Please, PLEASE, if you are in a violent relationship, reach out for help and safety planning. Consider leaving and doing whatever you need to do to stay safe. ESPECIALLY if there are guns available to your abuser. And especially if you have children--it isn't uncommon for these scenarios to end with the children being killed, too.