View Single Post
Old 06-27-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
davaidavai

You might look at AA, or at any sort of program or activity, from a neurochemical perspective. From that point of view, everything is a neurochemical experience. Jumping into a crystal pool of water relieves depression; having a new experience with other people is stimulating and relieves depression.

In this sense , what AA arguably does for many who go to it every day is that it creates an altered chemical state. There are also regrettable extremes in any sort of natural neurochemical experience. There are moderate drinkers and there are binge drinkers. There is the sort of benign communal experience of AA and mild organized religion, to Charles Manson. In my experience though it's easier to strike a balance and you run less of a risk with natural experiences in and of the human condition pre-selected wisely than narcotic experiences which you ultimately will can take you rapidly into extremes.

As evidence, I recently did 90 meetings in 90 days and stopped. There was a definite chemical come down from that daily source of stimulating activity. Having rebounded, I feel like I acquired something positive.

This is all my personal theorizing.