View Single Post
Old 06-26-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

After being the Queen of negative thinking in my drinking days that has all changed now, and it happened gradually, without me having to force it. I was a miserable git in early sobriety and anyone who spoke to me then knows that gratitude wasn't my strong point. I have had a fair amount of **** to deal with sober and over time it has just got easier to stay positive about it. Everyone's issues are bad to them, it doesn't matter that someone has it worse or that everything isn't how you want it right now. Everyone, sober or drunk has **** to deal with. But drunk me was incapable of looking past the current issue that was 'making' me drink. Once I stopped there were no more excuses and I had to work through stuff to stop me from backsliding. I still get stressed about stuff but I don't just sit there drinking hoping they will go away now, I do something about it. Actions and thoughts are linked. Even if you can't think positively just do the next thing you need to do and eventually you will start being more able to cope with the stuff that gets you down. For me that has led to living a more authentic life where there are far fewer things to complain about