View Single Post
Old 06-24-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Zaec, that fear is one that is shared by many of us. How about just dealing with one thing at a time. Once we are sober, and have some recovery up under our belts we can figure out how to do a lot of stuff that eludes us when we're active in our alcoholism.

Time for sleep now. Pour away any remaining booze, have a big glass of water and draw a line under today by going to bed. If you find yourself dwelling on what has happened today, please gently push those thoughts from your mind. Guide them onto more positive things. Try to go to sleep envisaging the calm, focussed recovered person you can be. If that's too hard tonight, could you take a detailed mental walk round somewhere you love. This is something I do to get my mind off of nightmarish thoughts when they become overwhelming. I mentally walk slowly through my old back garden, pausing to look at things. If i jump a bit or my mind wanders then I make myself go back to the back door and start over. That usually gets me to sleep before I get to the end of the garden. Not saying quickly, just I'm easily distracted and have to keep going back to the beginning. Still better than torturing myself with the things I can't change though.

Now isn't the time to make decisions or plans. There is nothing that can't wait til the morning apart from stopping drinking any more, and putting your phone somewhere you're not going to text or say things you'll regret.

X