View Single Post
Old 06-22-2016, 03:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Lexie....quite a substantial loss!
Can you tell us, basically, how you have done this?

dandylion
Basically, I have used a site/app called "MyFitnessPal" (google it, can't post commercial links). You can log your meals/snacks and exercise activity, as well as your weight and measurements. There are a few additional features with the paid subscription, but the free one gives you most of the features (albeit with ads).

It's basically the same method I used to lose 60 pounds about 20 years ago, only back then I had to look up the calories/nutritional value of various food items and record them by hand. This one has an extensive database of brand names (including most chain restaurants), so you just put in what you ate and how much and the app does all the work of calculating totals.

It also integrates with Fitbit data. I haven't really gotten the exercise piece in place yet, but just by eating healthy (and smaller portions) I've taken off 20 pounds since about early February (a nice, slow pace, IOW)--the 60 I lost before was over the course of an entire year, and I mostly kept it off except for the last few years--gained a bit when I got sober and was eating more.

Love the program, though, and there is a support forum, as well, on the website.