View Single Post
Old 06-21-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
alcoholics wife

There is really no policing an addict. Even laws tossing You in jail for drinking and driving doesn't stop all addict from this reckless and dangerous behaviour.

An addict is going to do what they want to do. I remember one day while we were getting ready for a long drive to visit relatives, I stop at a gas station to use the washroom, I come back to the car (I guess faster than my AH anticipated) to find my AH chugging down a beer as fast as he could...he was driving! I, of course, got mad and it turned into a situation where we had to head back home and make up an excuse to our relatives of why we couldn't make it over.

There is a lot of shame associated with their addiction. It's not like they are proud to lie, drink and drive, be reckless. They also feel much worse when others constantly poke at them, grill them and put them on the spot about their addiction. It's like an overweight person sneaking in a donut. They already know the looks they will receive and judgement from others. They will feel much worse when someone is tearing them apart on sneaking in a donut, on being fat, on being unhealthy etc etc
Being an alcoholic is no different. Just a different context. But still a lot of shame that is behind such addictions.