View Single Post
Old 06-21-2016, 12:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Originally Posted by theuncertainty View Post
I have a alternate perspective on this front. I was no longer "nagging" AXH about his drinking when he started hiding bottles around the home. (However, I will admit that I started confronting him about the extent of his drinking again when I started finding them all.) His decision to hide the bottles wasn't related to avoiding marital discord. It was about him not wanting ANYONE to know exactly how much he was drinking. I'm fairly certain that he didn't want to admit to HIMSELF how much he was drinking. It was much harder to quantify the amounts if the bottles aren't all stacked up in a single receptacle.
Bingo. I was living with people who rarely said anything about my drinking, but I still hid the bottles because *I* knew how much I was drinking, and I was ashamed and didn't want anyone to know.

So don't be too sure that encouraging him to be "honest" about his drinking and making sure you don't nag him about it will make him honest and open about his drinking. It certainly is better for YOU if you don't nag him--it does no good and will only make you frustrated and disappointed in yourself. Just EXPECT that he will lie and hide bottles. Every alcoholic I've ever met does that. It isn't personal, and it doesn't mean he will lie about other things (he might, but that's not directly related to the alcoholism, most often).