View Single Post
Old 06-21-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Sober things "to do"

So many times we hear people say "I'm bored" or that there's "nothing to do" in early sobriety. Count me guilty on that one too, I couldn't imagine doing anything without a beer in my hand for a long time. Around here we generally send people to the "things to do" thread or make a list of our own.

I'd like to share a spedific example as I've been on a camping trip with my sons scout troop for a few days and will be here for the remainder of the week. The camp we are at of course strictly prohibits alcohol for anyone, guests or staff. Anyone caught with even a drop would be asked to leave the premises immediately. And there are certainly adults who drink at home, etc. My observation is that no one cares in the least...it's not even mentioned. There's over 1000 people here between guests and staff and everyone is having a great time, for many this is a week they will remember for life. And not a drop of alcohol for miles.

It just reminds me how twisted our brains get by our addiction and how meaningless alcohol really is in our lives. I'm very thankful for the SR community that has allowed/helped me be able to get to this point and enjoy life for what it is.