Old 06-21-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Originally Posted by CentralOhioDad View Post
Lexie, be grateful you have siblings and others to help you. When my parents split and my mom moved to a one-floor condo because steps were too much for her, I was the only one of 4 kids to help her sell the house and get her moved in. When my dad had to move from his apartment to assisted living - no one was around to help. When they died, guess who made all the arrangements, settled the estate and everything else? Yep, me - by myself.

Not complaining, I'm glad I could take care of them in their final years, but sometimes it was a heavy burden. The siblings were there when it was time for the money to be divvied up, however.

COD
Oh, trust me--I'm extraordinarily grateful. I barely had ever even met my step-siblings before all this came up, but they have been great to deal with. It's been a perfect division of labor, too. My brother is going through all their photos and papers. I did all the financial stuff and some errands that sort of laid the groundwork for the move. One stepbrother is coming to help pack, another to move their stuff, and another will help unpack and set up the new place. I KNOW how fortunate I am!