Old 06-21-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Originally Posted by 53500 View Post
Wow Lexie, that sounds exhausting.

It's really rough when parents are frail but still trying hard to be independent. My FIL is there now. Falls easily, bleeds easily, had a couple of mini strokes but still hanging in there. Won't use a cane or any kind of aid to walk although he really should. It's unsettling to say the least.

Glad your dad's okay and agreed to assisted living!
My dad TOTALLY resisted using a walker, and what he did with the cane was both horrifying and comical--he'd hold it out in front of him like he was a knight jousting with a lance. I said, "Dad, that is NOT going to break your fall--you have to put it on the GROUND." He is doing pretty well with his walker now, though, although you have to hold it for him on a slope (like the driveway) because he doesn't get how the brakes work. What finally worked for us was telling him that however much he hated having to use a walker, he'd hate it a lot more being confined to a hospital bed with a broken hip. It tires him to walk, though, and I'm hoping once they get up to Oregon we can get him a scooter or wheelchair so he can be more mobile and enjoy life more up there.