View Single Post
Old 06-19-2016, 10:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MxKing971

Unhappy Making Amends in Early Recovery?

Hello everyone,

I am a 24 year old Heroin addict. I've been using for a few years now. Within the past year, I've accumulated many criminal charges, destroyed relationships, and "ruined my life". On the flip side, I'm celebrating 3 months clean today and very happy!

But the problem is... I don't know how to make amends without following step work. I don't follow a program (although I know I should). My family is very forgiving, but my closest friends are not. I am the Vocalist of a heavy metal band. I manage the band's finances, social media... everything. You can probably guess where this is going...

For months I would lie about the band's income, and I would take all of the proceeds for myself so I could go and use drugs. We started recording a new album over a year ago... but had to delay it for months because I was in and out of jail and rehab. Now that I am finally out and clean - I am doing everything I can to make things right. I started a fundraiser through 'Kickstarter' to help try and return the funds to my band.

Besides the financial issues, does anyone have any other advice? They don't quite understand addiction... so I just seem like a scumbag to them.