View Single Post
Old 06-17-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
uncorked

I'm so sorry you're going through this. If this is your first DUI, I think the judge will look at your (clean and productive) past and follow what STG said. I got a DUI about 13 yrs ago and I know how much it sucks. My dad had to drive me to work for awhile, at least until my trial. Where I live, you can "erase" your first DUI (for insurance purposes) as long as you complete your court-ordered classes and such. I had to go to AA, which ironically made me want to drink more! But, I went and got the papers signed. I also had to do some community service. I think you will be ok....but anything you can do over and above what the court orders will help your case even more. You can do AA meetings online, for example, if there are none where you live, and get your attendance signed/dated and present it to the judge. (Unfortunately, most of the judicial system is only familiar with AA so that's your best bet as far as treatment goes, at least for the judge and your case....) You can also see a dr/therapist/etc and have them write a letter to the judge that you are serious about treatment and are doing well, blah blah blah. I really feel for you, having to forfeit driving your kids to their activities. I have 4 kids so I understand how difficult that would be. I'm sure it's hard on everyone. Hopefully your driving privileges will be restored in short order and you can get on with life.