View Single Post
Old 06-10-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
JeffreyAK

I think it's important to keep in mind, nearly always we drink again as the end result of a process, probably a long process if we've been sober a long time. It's never a "what the hell" moment, not if we think carefully about what happened before that drink, what we did or didn't do, how we did or didn't stop and analyze what was happening and respond to it before the drink.

Drinking again would be deadly for me, but not because of the drink, not at all. It would be because of all that would have to happen before the drink, a process that would lead me to completely disregard all the wisdom I've gathered in the past six years, throw it all away, and never seek support before the drink. That process would upend my life, change who I've become, reprogram deeply ingrained parts of my identity. Only then could the drink come, and it would destroy me because of all that went before the drink.

But that's me. Not everyone is as committed, not did everyone go as deep into the rabbit hole as I did.