View Single Post
Old 06-09-2016, 09:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SweatyHands
Brother of the Wolf

I did a great job at setting and keeping boundaries with people today. My wife and I had plans to go out to dinner with my mother, step-father, sister, brother in law, aunt, and two of my sister's friends who live near my parents. My mother invited my wife's parents to join us as well. This afternoon, I noticed that my mother in law was drinking way too much to be going out to dinner tonight. But, it's not my responsibility to police her consumption in her own home--and it certainly doesn't do anyone any good for me to get all worked up over it. So at dinner, as my mother in law was working on a 32 ounce margarita (no, that's not an exaggeration), she started getting very sloppy and making less sense than usual. Her husband collected her and drove her home while we were finishing up dinner. When I got home, I was treated to the persistant sound of her violently vomiting in her bedroom below where I was watching tv. Aside from being a little sad that she's not ready to choose sobriety, I was just happy that it's no longer me finishing up the evening by throwing up my dinner.

Also, earlier today I received a very long, very lovely email from my good friend, mentor, and former academic advisor. After writing her a long letter catching her up on my life as of late, I realized that it's the first time in a year that I have only had good news to relate about my life.

So that's today. I'm exhausted, but happy. And I'm looking forward to enjoying my last day of vacation tomorrow.