View Single Post
Old 06-09-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
graced333

Hi all - my AV voice tried to overwhelm me this afternoon. I will share my story in hopes that it might help others who are on this journey of sober, mindful living.
While I waited for my husband to pick me up, after a simply wonderful visit with family (remember I lost my license a year ago for an OUI), I went into a little store to get something to eat and drink. When I walked in, right in front of me was a row of alcohol bottles and my former drink of choice, cheap vodka sang to me. I was stunned by the powerful urge that enveloped me to buy some and , GET THIS, swill it down DIRECTly from the BOTTLE, like I had done so easily a little over four months ago. The voice told me 'and you will be so relieved!' I paused, a young store clerk approached and asked if I needed help. I went directly to the candy counter, picked up some caramels and a coconut water, brought my grandchildrens' faces to mind and paid the clerk, went outside and breathed in and exhaled deeply and slowly. The voice faded and I sat on a bench. I was completely exhausted, but oh so happy I had rode the urge. If I can do this, anyone can. Take heart and many blessings to you all!

Last edited by graced333; 06-09-2016 at 04:31 PM. Reason: spelling