View Single Post
Old 06-09-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TheEnd
High on Life

What is considered sober?

Here is a question for all of you. I have friend with a number of years of sobriety. Recently he told me that for awhile he had become complacent about his sobriety, almost ambivalent. He described it as "I have 10 years sober and I wanted to know was there anything else out there?' He said he had reached a point in his sobriety where he wanted to know what is was that he thought he missed about drinking so much. He described this as a months long process, where he decided that he would let himself have a drink one night. So he did.

He told me after he had that drink, that he realized that he didn't miss drinking, that it was like a breath of fresh air. He said he still considers himself a sober individual, which includes his 10 years of sobriety. I asked him "Do you feel like you should set a new date?" He said, "If I had continued to abuse alcohol, then I would have set a new date, but I have decided that after this moment, that I was content being sober?" He said, now I can move forward in my sobriety and if I ever decide to do this again, then I will set a new date.

Then he asked me what I thought and I said, "I don't know". I guess since you didn't go back into full blown using and did this for a specific reason, that your logic makes sense. But I'm only one person, so what does everyone think?