View Single Post
Old 06-07-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by maz36 View Post
Maybe if I could form a routine that doesn't involve drinking. So far the past 3 days have been very empty. I have been keeping busy but busy doing things that are no fun. Like cleaning, having a bath, cutting the grass, gardening. If I could find something more fun than drinking to do from 6pm-11pm then I would feel a bit better. Any suggestions?
The link below is a great read if you are looking for things to do. Having said that, drinking isn't really something "to do". We do associate drinking with "things to do" because most of us drank while we did all the things you list and more. I personally drank every moment of the day that I wasn't sleeping or at work. So mowing the lawn, doing the dishes, camping, gardening, visiting relatives, it didn't matter what I was DOING, I was always drinking.

It was very, very hard for me to imagine doing those things without drinking, it is for just about all of us really. But the truth is that not only can you do those things sober, you can do them better. And being sober opens up opportunities you don't have while you are drunk ( driving for one, right? )

Learning to do all these things sober won't just happen, you need to have a firm plan in place first off. And you need support - which you can find here or lots of other places ( meetings, counseling, rehab, etc ). And even with those things, it wont' happen overnight - it takes time and it takes hard work. But in the end the results far outweigh the short term pain.

Here's the link I was talking about - worth a read.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html