View Single Post
Old 06-03-2016, 01:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Lol at the selective hearing bit. I think I did for the first few months. It's all so new and mostly just had washing machine head so my processing wasn't up to scratch either.

I didn't do 90 in 90. It just wasn't possible for me. But I did go 3 or 4 times a week (now it's 2 or 3). The biggest change for me when I actually starting DOing what was suggested rather than just sitting in meeting waiting to 'get it'. That meant getting a sponsor, working the steps, reading the big book and other literature, going to Big Book and 12 and 12 meetings as well as the general share ones, on non-meeting days finding other ways to immerse myself - i often use the AA speaker recordings on those days, contacting other AAers by phone or text, doing service at meetings (that sounds serious, but it might just mean helping wash up or stacking chairs, just not turn up at the last minute and bugger off at the end without helping or chatting, because some of the most helpful chats I've had at AA have been while setting or clearing up, with people who are often quiet or silent during the meeting itself) and doing daily prayer /meditation / inventory around my step work. Once you meet people who have the sobriety you'd like for yourself, ask them what they do to keep sober. I saw people with smiles in their eyes and laughter in their voices, who had a relaxed stance, and an open face and I asked them what they did, and they told me, and then I copied them. Monkey see, monkey do. And I don't know why I was so surprised that what worked for them worked for me, but I WAS surprised, very, very happily surprised.

I know all that stuff can sound like hard work, but it certainly doesn't seem as much like hard work as my white-knuckling experience was, or even my drinking days were towards the end. All that inner turmoil really ground me down, although on the outside just probably looked like I was doing nothing at all, inside I was in a constant battle with my inner demons. The thing is, you can't battle against darkness in any way other than to find some light and let it in. My AA recovery work is my personal source of light.