View Single Post
Old 06-01-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Aithyne

Embarrassed at my response to a coworker

I had 6 days off in a row, based on how my work days fell. So my coworker asks me last night if I did anything fun or had plans, etc. I responded with, "I found out my dad is drinking again after 15 years of sobriety, despite telling my sister and I he would stop last summer or fall when we started up again in the first place, or maybe he did then and then started anew, or just hid it better..." I am an RN and this was also in front of one of the doctors I work with.

And then, the next thing I know I am telling my coworker, the doctor and 2 others pretty much my life story about the DV, child abuse, my parents' substance abuse, being the oldest child of a single parent, and my own trouble with alcohol. I didn't go into the nitty gritty details, but enough to be embarrassed about what I said. I NEVER planned on telling anyone I work with that, at least not for a while, I have only worked on this unit for about 8 months; I don't know any of them well enough! And it's totally unprofessional!

I'm thinking that tomorrow night, I really need to try that ACoA meeting. At the very least I can see what it's about and if it is something that may help me....I don't know, but I definitely can't be doing that again.