Thread: Need advice.
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jseattle

Need advice.

I am 43 days sober, thanks to a good IOP program, anabuse, and a lot of white knuckles through cravings.

Next week my in laws are coming to stay with us for 2 weeks. To call this triggering is an understatement. More like detonation. Or a firing squad. Getting through one night with them fills me with panic. 2 weeks? Honestly if I had known this trip was coming I would not have entered rehab. Cancelling is not an option. My mother in law has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's which is why my husband invited them. I know, I am a horrible person to dread this visit when they are facing something so scary. There is a lot of history there to the point where after their visit last Christmas I said never again. Last Christmas I probably was drinking 2 bottles a day to cope.

I cannot relapse. I can't bear to face getting sober again. I have planned some time away and talked to my husband about what I need. No matter what though it is going to be incredibly difficult. I will be going to IOP and may make some meetings (will have to lie about my whereabouts - I am 49 but they feel entitled to know my every movement.). Any other suggestions?