View Single Post
Old 05-26-2016, 11:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
minime13

If it helps you move forward, it's probably pretty healthy.

I've had a few reflective moments too, and typically let my mind fast-forward to the "next," which will always be something dreadful. I had one moment this past week, with the NBA finals. We spent two seasons prior watching it together and rooting on our team. This past week, when the semi-finals were coming to an end, I missed it for a moment. Then I looked back at the last game we watched together - started out nice, but we were caught out in a flood. He grew anxious and annoyed because we were stuck in a terrible downpour, and he started getting agitated.

I knew he would start getting "mean" so I suggested we go ahead and walk home - it was 4-5 blocks, and we'd get it over with. On the way back, in knee deep water, I found a hole and broke a toe. Then, oh my God, he felt so bad that he got angry for me suggesting the notion of walking back in the rain (it lasted 5 or 6 more hours, and I couldn't imagine what he would have become out in public), and then switched to sad and guilt-ridden, then depressed, then angry again because I didn't want to go to the hospital. In the middle of a flood where the streets were knee deep, for a broken TOE.

Then he pouted and drank til he passed out. And I stayed up and watched TV til I fell asleep on the couch. Then he woke up and asked me to please come to bed. And I was stuck at his house for 24 more hours until the roadways were drained and cleared.

So, yeah. Don't miss that anymore.

It's pretty effective for me, and if it's the same for you, keep doing it.