View Single Post
Old 05-26-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Expanding

The "Reality Check" Game

I don't know how healthy this is but I have found myself playing a little game when I start to get sentimental about the failed relationship. I let myself be sad about what it is I am sad about and then list all the things that would have REALLY happened, for example...

I am getting sentimental about this weekend because we always went camping together. I love getting the stuff together and riding up, then setting up and having an entire weekend or night just to ourselves in nature. We could talk, bond, and deepen our connection. Being out in the woods was the only thing that could completely relax and "reset" me. I would drive home fully rested and ready to take on the coming week.

REALITY:

He would run around stressed out the night before packing (beers in hand), not letting me help with anything. On the way up he would most likely ask if I minded if he smoked in my car (which wasn't allowed) and I would probably say yes (ugh). When we got there he would bring so much stuff that it would take hours to unpack and set up camp, there was always something that needed fixing and it was like he couldn't just sit still and relax with me. We would probably play a few games, talking over the music that was playing on the radio he brought. When the fire was started he would be constantly playing with it, and if I tried to ask questions such as, "where do you see yourself in five years" would receive answers such as "I don't know". Towards the end of the night he would be very drunk and passing out in front of the fire. My attempts to get him to bed would be met with resistance and I would end up going to sleep alone for most of the night. On the ride home he would pass out almost as soon as we started to go (I always drove, no license) and I would ride home in silence.

WOW