View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 10:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
dangerDrinking

I used to be a HUGE partier. Then over the years after getting married and having kids, my drinking slowed down A LOT. I'm more of the going out once in a great while, but getting smashed drunk. Ending up in "dangerous" situations drunk. But not having a problem with staying away from it as I have built a sober life for myself and family. BUT, recently, I started to go out once every couple weeks, month and this last time, exactly 54 days ago, mind you, I'm a 45 year old mom of 2 precious girls 6 and 9, I was out till 4 am, alone walking downtown with my Uber driver cuz my "normal" drinking friend went home like "normal" drinking people do. Not me. I'm alone looking for a bar. It went from going out and having a couple, to me at 4 in the morning stumbling around basically alone (thank G my Uber driver was a sweetheart of a lady who was worried about me!).

That, even though it's once in a great while, is why I'm here.

Through my 1st thread I posted here, it was quickly apparent to me, that if I don't want to end up in these dangerous predicaments #1, I can't drink anymore and #2, I need to stay away from drinking situations till I have some good sober time under my belt. Which I have actually succeeded to do before for like 3 years? (it was after having my 1st child). And I remember after a year, it was not that difficult. These days? Not so much.

I have a family thing coming up that involves drinking and I'm going to tell you my plan. I plan to have my non-alcoholic beverage planned out and in my hand before anyone asks me to make me a drink. (They have "Happy Hour" eye roll - at 5pm sharp every eve!) I am going to come here when I'm having a rough time with everyone else drinking. I'm going to think of the next morning and how difficult it will be to watch my kids while on vacation if I'm hung over. Because there is no danger in this situation as it is a family get together over 4 days, I don't have that fear. What I DO fear, is that once I drink there, it's green light for me to drink at some point in the near future. It's like playing Russian Roulette for me and I just cannot risk it anymore.

So anyway, I understand your predicament about being around people who drink especially family and feeling like you need to join in or you're "boring". I get that so much and am dreading this trip. But, I think as the people on my thread were saying and I see people above have said, it's about building a life that doesn't require alcohol. And if you HAVE to be in a drinking situation like a family get together you can't get out of, have a plan.

Congratulations on making the decision to not drink and save your life and your future. I guarantee you will have a much more fulfilling and enriching - NOT BORING life by making the decision to choose sobriety.