Old 05-24-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
fantail
now's the time

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
I was feeling pretty crappy on saturday and thought Ya know all this crap i keep runing from it trying to feel happy instead well right now life sucks and well maybe I should embrace the suck rather then trying to avoid it or focusing on something postive maybe I should just immerse in it instead. Just be the suck. It sounded like a great plan no longer avoiding the pain but facing it and endureing it till it passed.
You know, other than the part where you decided the conclusion was to drink... this is actually a pretty interesting train of thought. In some schools of Buddhist thought this is exactly what is recommended for dealing with painful situations. In that practice you would do that by meditating on it without trying to change it. Even if not meditating, the idea of shifting from a place of trying to run away from problems towards quietly observing your negative emotions without judgment is actually a really a very wise impulse on your part. I do this a lot and find it very helpful. The idea of just acknowledging the bad stuff without attaching to it is pretty powerful.